It has been confirmed that Pierre Gasly will continue to drive for AlphaTauri until the end of the 2021 season at the least.
The Frenchman has been hugely successful at the team since being dropped by Red Bull last year.
He claimed his first podium at the 2019 Brazilian Grand Prix and won his first race at Monza this season, in which he has been one of the stand-out drivers.
Due to such strong performances, many, himself included, felt that he deserved another chance at Red Bull. However, Helmut Marko and co have constantly dismissed the idea of doing so.
Given this, a stay at AlphaTauri always looked likely, and it has now been officially confirmed by both the team and driver.
“I’m extremely happy to continue with Scuderia AlphaTauri for another season!” Gasly said in an announcement.
“This year is going very well, and we are on track to have our most successful season in the team’s history.
“I feel we have a very strong relationship, we have managed to take every opportunity that’s come our way, the best one at the Italian Grand Prix.
“Winning my first Formula 1 race in Monza was a very special moment for me, and it was made extra sweet to deliver a second win in the team’s history, so I’m very proud of that.
“I’ll do my maximum to push the team and take all my responsibility to bring it as far forward as I can. I’m looking forward to next year’s challenge and continuing with AlphaTauri both as a premium fashion brand and a racing team, to keep performing as much as I can to achieve even more success in the future.”
RACING FOR ALPHA TAURI IN 2021!
1 podium + 1 race win means we keep going with my boys at @AlphaTauriF1. I will give my very best to bring success to these guys. One more year in white! The best is yet to come. pic.twitter.com/Lu1XgWvm0L
— PIERRE GASLY 🇫🇷 (@PierreGASLY) October 28, 2020
There have been rumours that Renault is interested in Gasly, who may want to leave the Red Bull circle amid talk that he has upset people at the team.
However, AlphaTauri team principal Franz Tost is hoping that the Frenchman will stay in the “pool” for the foreseeable future.
“I’m delighted that Pierre will remain with us for the 2021 season. He has been part of the Red Bull driver pool for many years and I hope he will remain in the Red Bull family for many seasons ahead,” he said.
“Since he came back to the team last year, he consistently showed extremely good performances achieving two podiums, with a second place in Brazil in 2019 and a win at the team’s home race at this year’s Italian Grand Prix.
“Pierre has proven to be highly competitive also thanks to his great race craft, extracting the car’s potential at every race and giving valuable feedback to his engineers.
“He is mentally very strong, he is always motivated and when he sets a goal he gives it his all to achieve it. I’m looking forward to extending this cooperation and having a successful 2021 season together.”
Source: Read Full Article